Jan 23, 2019
Hello everyone! This is your host Tyler here. I’m excited to
announce our very first podcast episode with Angela Hursh. On
today’s show, Angela shares some of the struggles a public library
faces in today’s digital world, the strategies she’s currently
using to increase library attendance in Cincinnati and Hamilton
County, and why re-education of our librarians in so important to
help them adapt to this new environment.
- What is Angela’s primary marketing goal for this year?
- There’s been less attendance at public libraries in the past
couple of years due to a lot of the reading material being
- What kinds of struggles do libraries face in today’s
- In order to increase attendance in the library, Angela has been
working to change the mindsets of the librarians in our
- Sometimes we just have to forget about the quotas. Hosting five
programs a week at the library might ‘feel’ like the right thing to
do but there’s actually a better way to approach it.
- In this case, Angela has seen an increase in attendance at her
library because they’ve introduced fewer but higher quality
- By having fewer programs in your calendar, you will also have
more of a budget to bring in presenters who might cost a little
- Angela overseas 41 locations across Cincinnati and Hamilton
County. Each of these locations has different demographics and
interests. These events need to be customized to the residents of
- What kinds of metrics has Angela been tracking?
- On any given day, there are probably 5-10 storytime events
happening at libraries in Angela’s system.
- It’s important to form a relationship with cardholders so that
they not only attend the events but come in for research projects,
get a passport, etc.
- Angela encourages staff to talk to the people in the community
to see what they’re up to and what’s important to them.
- It’s important to help librarians become aware of changes in
society and technology as well as keep them connected to pop
- What would Angela do differently if she could go back in
Mentioned in This Episode: